Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Romans Comparison Pt 2 Rom1:4-10


Rom 1:4 KJV - And declared [to be] the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:
Rom 1:4 NKJV - [and] declared [to be] the Son of God with power according to the Spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead.
Rom 1:4 ESV - and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,
Rom 1:4 NASB - who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord,
Rom 1:5 KJV - By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:
Rom 1:5 NKJV - Through Him we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith among all nations for His name,
Rom 1:5 ESV - through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations,
Rom 1:5 NASB - through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name's sake,
All nations (Jew and Gentile) have received grace and apostleship by him.  That is by his own power - not through the Father's power:  Jesus' cry "My God, my god, why hast thou forsaken me" is proof that he faced hell by himself.  The power of the spirit of holiness was demonstrated to be with him by the resurrection from the dead.  He earned the presence of the spirit of holiness by his own righteousness.

The purpose of them having received grace and apostleship was for obedience to the faith.  The grace and apostleship are provided for obedience but there is no guarantee that it will bring about the obedience of the Jew or the Gentile.  It is provided for those who will believe.  It will not "bring about the obedience", but it does provide the opportunity for obedience.
Rom 1:6 KJV - Among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ:
Rom 1:6 NKJV - among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
Rom 1:6 ESV - including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,
Rom 1:6 NASB - among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ;
We are among those of all nations called into the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ.  This is a confirmation of the afore mentioned 
Rom 1:7 KJV - To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called [to be] saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 1:7 NKJV - To all who are in Rome, beloved of God, called [to be] saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 1:7 ESV - To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 1:7 NASB - to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
If we want to carry my little "afore vs before" example on down this path, compare:  Beloved vs Beheaded   Beloved presents the heart with an awareness of intimacy that is hidden in its depths.  When a person is beloved another, that other person has severed a piece of his heart from his own control and given it to the person he loves.  A person who is beloved by another person is carrying around a piece of that person's heart within himself.  A transaction has occurred.  I can be loved by another person and unless I receive that love into my own heart, I am still just loved -- not beloved.  If I haven't accepted the love of Jesus I am still just loved.  When I receive his loved he knows me and will never say depart from me for I never knew you, I am beloved -- he knows me, he dwells in me, I am his and he is mine.  I am most thankful to know that I am beloved of God.
Rom 1:8 KJV - First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
Rom 1:8 NKJV - First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world.
Rom 1:8 ESV - First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world.
Rom 1:8 NASB - First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, because your faith is being proclaimed throughout the whole world.
Believer's are not supposed to have their faith proclaimed, the gospel is meant to be proclaimed.  Spoken of is more about fame built upon gossip than about proclamation.  Fame is built upon word of mouth passage of rumor, information and mis-information.  For example:  Acts gives a great scene of Felix having heard of the uproar going on and wanting to hear from Paul what the truth really was.  Their faith was being spoken of by people throughout the whole world.  This type of fame brought greater opportunities for the apostles to preach the gospel. 
Rom 1:9 KJV - For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers;
Rom 1:9 NKJV - For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers,
Rom 1:9 ESV - For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you
Rom 1:9 NASB - For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His Son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you,
Paul served with his spirit in the gospel.  Paul also put his flesh to death with his spirit.  Paul had a very clear, distinct understanding that he worked with his spirit to serve God.  Paul served God in the full gospel of Jesus Christ – not just in the preaching of it.
Rom 1:10 KJV - Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.
Rom 1:10 NKJV - making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you.
Rom 1:10 ESV - always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you.
Rom 1:10 NASB - always in my prayers making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you.
There is no reason to suppose that Paul had made any attempt to go to Rome, or that he was trying to find a way to go to Rome.  What it says is Paul was making a request of God and watching and continuing in prayer for the same that at the proper time he would have a prosperous journey to Rome.  “Succeeding” at “finding a way” to get to Rome is often an Ishmael in progress.  A prosperous journey can only be obtained by the grace of God granting a request or giving a call to service.  The King James transcribers once again chose the only holy path available, and reached the goal of righteousness.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
all scripture copied from blueletterbible.com -- fonts, highlighting, elipses, etc. are my own choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and would be fun to respond to.